Tainted - Anyone But Him

Album Cover

Photobucket

Monday, October 12, 2009

Shot Ideas

The Streets – Never Went To Church



I analysed this video briefly on my individual blog at the start of the project as research just because I liked the overall look/style of it.

Here’s what I said about it:
The use of close-ups are really engaging in this video and the audience feels real sympathy for Mike who has lost his father. Mike is nearly always placed either really right or left of frame which is really effective as it makes him seem lonelier because there is no one around him, and therefore evokes sympathy in the viewer, as well as the close-up shots when he is not singing and he directly addresses the camera. I like the shots on the train because I think their framed really well, as well as the shots that are quite unusual in music videos such as the slow tilt up at 2:14, which works really well, as the song is quite slow and the camera movement reflects the lyrics as Mike is looking at his reflection in the water, saying:
‘I guess then you did leave me something to remind me of you.
Everytime I interrupt someone like you used to,
When I do something like you you’ll be on my mind or through,
'Cause I forgot you left me behind to remind me of you.’

How the video makes the audience feel is essential here, as the emotions they evoke is what makes them want to watch it again and listen to the song’s meaning.


After discussing our main artist with Mel, we thought that he would have the same sort of attitude as Mike Skinner (maybe a bit angrier). But we did like some of the shots used in the video to convey this feeling, especially as there are key themes of loss, although not on the same level, our main artist has still lost two people that were very close to him. I also like the editing in places as I think where they cut from extreme long shots to extreme close-ups is really effective. But mostly it’s the shots such as where he’s extremely left/right of frame and it’s a close-up where we feel his emotion and a sense of loneliness.
Here are some snapshots of examples of the shots I like and think could work for our video:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

- Tanya -

0 comments: